The Nine Signs of Hopi Prophecy (From White Feather, Bear Clan, Hopi Tribe)
The Fourth World shall end soon, and the Fifth World will begin. This the elders everywhere know. The Signs over many years have been fulfilled, and so few are left.
· First Sign: We were told of the coming of the white-skinned men, like Pahana, but not living like Pahana -- men who took the land that was not theirs and who struck their enemies with thunder.
· Second Sign: Our lands will see the coming of spinning wheels filled with voices.
· Third Sign: A strange beast like a buffalo but with great long horns, will overrun the land in large numbers.
· Fourth Sign: The land will be crossed by snakes of iron.
· Fifth Sign: The land shall be criss-crossed by a giant spider's web.
· Sixth Sign: The land shall be criss-crossed with rivers of stone that make pictures in the sun.
· Seventh Sign: You will hear of the sea turning black, and many living things dying because of it.
· Eighth Sign: You will see many youth, who wear their hair long like our people, come and join the tribal nations, to learn our ways and wisdom.
· Ninth and Last Sign: You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of the Hopi people will cease.
"These are the Signs that great destruction is coming. The world shall rock to and fro. The white man will battle against other people in other lands -- with those who possessed the first light of wisdom. There will be many columns of smoke and fire such as White Feather has seen the white man make in the deserts not far from here. Only those which come will cause disease and a great dying.
"Many of my people, understanding the prophecies, shall be safe. Those who stay and live in the places of my people also shall be safe. Then there will be much to rebuild. And soon -- very soon afterward -- Pahana will return. He shall bring with him the dawn of the Fifth World. He shall plant the seeds of his wisdom in their hearts. Even now the seeds are being planted. These shall smooth the way to the Emergence into the Fifth World.
"But White Feather shall not see it. I am old and dying. You -- perhaps will see it. In time, in time..."