Labels

10 Dec 2012

ESO3: Caledonia... that is, Scotland.

Amy Macdonald is a Scottish singer who is having a lot of success at the moment. She started her career some years ago, and she became famous in 2007 with her debut album, This Is the Life (2007) and its fourth single, "This Is the Life". The single charted at number one in six different countries worldwide. Let's listen to her version of Caledonia.

Caledonia is the Latin name given by the Romans to the land in today's Scotland north of their province of Britannia, beyond the frontier of their empire. Modern use is as a romantic or poetic name for Scotland as a whole.

 LYRICS

"I don't know if you can see
The changes that have come over me
In these last few days I've been afraid
That I might drift away
So I've been telling old stories, singing songs
That make me think about where I came from
And that's the reason why I seem
So far away today

Oh, but let me tell you that I love you
That I think about you all the time
Caledonia you're calling me
And now I'm going home
If I should become a stranger
You know that it would make me more than sad
Caledonia's been everything
I've ever had"

Activities:
1. Who gave this name, "Caledonia",  to Scotland? In what language is it written? [x2]
2. What's the name of the instrument playing at the end of the song? [x1]
3, Turn the seven underlined verbs into the simple past. [x7]



No comments:

Post a Comment