2015 Nepal earthquake
A strong (7.8) earthquake hit Nepal in the area near Barpak, a mountain village between capital Kathmandu and tourist town Pokhara. The earthquake was followed by many powerful aftershocks and a new earthquake (6.7) hit Nepal on Sunday April 26.
The earthquakes caused extensive damage to buildings and thousands of deaths and injuries and was even felt in Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. Many (historic) buildings collapsed, temples have been ruined, roads destroyed. Nearly 8000 deaths in Nepal and tens of deaths in India & Tibet.
Reading. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake
Speaking: what do they need and how can we help Nepal at the moment? Discuss
Writing: jot down your ideas.
Check this page:
- DO YOU NEED HELP? What are the things needed in Nepal after the earthquake?
- DO YOU WANT TO HELP? How can you help?
- GROUPS IN RELIEF ACTION: Choose a group and summarize who they are and what's their specific action
- Now design a poster and a leaflet explaining what happened in Nepal and how we can help.
In groups of 4 or 5, check the mass media (press, radio, TV, the Internet) and look for news dealing with global issues concerning the environment, poverty, arms trade, war, hunger or others. You will create an online piece of news including:
a) writing, (e.g. article, chronicle, editorial...)
b) image//infographic/animation (e.g. map, photography, survey graphic...)
c) radio/podcasting (e.g. interview, pop vox...)
d) a TV/video story (e.g. stand up)
e) Include also a forum/opinion poll involving social media
Use a blogging device to upload your content. We will discuss if it is better to upload all the groups' contents onto a single blog.
- Blogging: wix, blogger, wordpress...
- Audio: software > Adobe Audition, Audacity, Garageband... uploading > http://voicethread.com/...
- Video: software >Adobe Premiere, Movie Maker, ... uploading > YouTube, blogger...
- Free music, ingles and FX (no copyright infringement):
Then, you will move forward to your own community: look for a story in Badalona to be covered.