Labels

11 May 2020

2BAC: EBAU practise + Listening + Speaking (job interviews) (18 May)

ВЧИМО АНГЛІЙСЬКУ ІЗ ЗАДОВОЛЕННЯМ: IDIOMS

I know we are burning the candles at both ends, but it will be worth it in order to move up in the world! So don't be hanging by a thread and let's nail it!

Activity 4) Tense exercise


EBAU PRACTICE

1) Reading:
https://www.liveworksheets.com/worksheets/en/English_as_a_Second_Language_(ESL)/Reading_comprehension/FCE_sample_exam_xu25596ho

2) Usage: https://www.liveworksheets.com/ht40978sc

3) Grammar https://www.englishgrammar.org/exercises/ (4th exercise on TENSES) *see picture above

4) Vocabulary. Phrasal verbs (3 exercises):
https://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/vocabulary/advanced-vocabulary/payback

5) Morphology:
https://www.liveworksheets.com/worksheets/en/English_as_a_Second_Language_(ESL)/Word_Formation/FCE_sample_exam_ub25593jx

6) Listening:
https://www.liveworksheets.com/worksheets/en/English_as_a_Second_Language_(ESL)/Tests/B2_listening_test_2013_tj54089ph

7) Writing: write a paragraph using at least 5 of these expressions or other idioms (underline them). Explain these expressions below your text:
https://www.liveworksheets.com/worksheets/en/English_as_a_Second_Language_(ESL)/Idioms/Idioms_zi61195jg

Example: That day I was feeling under the weather. I had bought a new laptop that cost me an arm and a leg but I wish I hadn't bought it online. I just clicked on a pop-up ad which promised me a great discount if I used a new app and... curiosity killed the cat. Of course, I had butterflies in my stomach before receiving the parcel with my brand new laptop. However, I ended up paying a lot more than expected for the shipping taxes, and I almost lose my marbles when I saw the receipt! I told my brother not to tell my parents about it... but he couldn't wait to spill the beans. Often, great offers appear online but we have to be aware of scams! Now, I am as broke as a church rat. If I could go back in time... I would change my mind.

Under the weather= sad...

Hack: use complex structures such as conditionals I wish/if onlycomparisons, the passiverelative pronouns/clauses and reported speech!
Also, try to use an array of idioms, sayings and phrasal verbs in your composition!
ATTENTION: Mind the register! to die => FORMAL to pass away / INFORMAL to kick the bucket
Make sure you use the right register of formality according to the context!

Example: That day I was feeling under the weather. I had bought a new laptop that cost me an arm and a leg but I wish I hadn't bought it online. I just clicked on a pop-up ad which promised me a great discount if I used a new app and... curiosity killed the cat. Of course, I had butterflies in my stomach before receiving the parcel with my brand new laptop. However, I ended up paying a lot more than expected for the shipping taxes, and I almost lose my marbles when I saw the receipt! I told my brother not to tell my parents about it... but he couldn't wait to spill the beans. Often, great discounts are offered online but we have to be aware of scams! Now, I am as broke as a church ratIf I could go back in time... I would change my mind.



Introduction - Idioms and Proverbs



JOB INTERVIEWS 2026. MY DREAM JOB.

Imagine it’s 2026, you have finished your studies, have got some experience in your filed and suddenly, you see an opportunity of a life time: a vacancy for your dream job! Send the CV and cover letter and get ready for an online interview. Bear in mind the most frequent questions and the non-verbal communication! Also check your device (mobile phone, laptop…) in order to avoid technical problems in advance. Good luck!

Choose your preference for the 10’ interview via Google Meet. I will send you the link accordingly, in advance. Choose your slot by Friday 15, please. Schedule for next week: 18-22 May

SPEAKING TEST
time
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
13:20





13:30





13:40





13:50





14:00





14:10





14:20





14:30





14:40





14:50





15:00





15:10





15:20





15:30





15:40





15:50






ASSESSMENT RUBRIC:

Score=       /10
2
1.5
1
0.5
Accuracy

Use of complex and rich structures, no mistakes
Use of complex structures, few mistakes
Use of simple structures, some mistakes

Poor use of structures, many mistakes
Fluency

Engaging rhythm and intonation, rich use of connectors
Good command of pauses and rhythm, right use of linkers
Many pauses, broken speech, few connectors
Difficult to follow, Basic connectors (and, but, also)
Content

Enriched answers; wide lexical repertoire.
Correct answers, good lexical items, phrasal verbs.
Answers with some imprecision, few phrasal verbs
Very simple and concise answers, no phrasal verbs
Register
Very formal, according to the situation
Formal, according to the situation. Some colloquial words
Quite formal, more or less according to the situation
Somehow informal, not according to the situation
Non-verbal communication
Very professional appearance, remarkable gestures, eye contact, and  background
Quite professional appearance, suitable gestures, eye contact and background.
Somehow professional appearance, gestures, eye contact and background.
Unprofessional appearance,  poor gestures, eye contact and/or background

 

No comments:

Post a Comment