- Geographical terms: The British Isles = Ireland + Great Britain
- Great Britain (GB) = England + Scotland + Wales
- Ireland = Republic of Ireland + Northern Ireland
- The United Kingdom (UK): England + Wales + Scotland + Northern Ireland
And here you have the Union Jack and its formation:
So, the United Kingdom is really the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In Wikipedia you can find the following information: the UK is a sovereign state located off the north-western coast of continental Europe. The country includes the island of Great Britain, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland and many smaller islands. Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK that shares a land border with another sovereign state—the Republic of Ireland. Apart from this land border the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the North Sea, the English Channel and the Irish Sea.
The United Kingdom is a unitary state governed under a constitutional monarchy and aparliamentary system, with its seat of government in the capital city of London. It is a country in its own right and consists of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. There are three devolved national administrations, each with varying powers, situated in Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh; the capitals of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland respectively. Associated with the UK, but not constitutionally part of it, are three Crown Dependencies and fourteen overseas territories. These are remnants of the British Empire which, at its height in 1922, encompassed almost a quarter of the world's land surface and was the largest empire in history. British influence can still be observed in the language, culture and legal systems of many of its former territories.
- 2nd ESO: Let's make a display with the map and main geographical features. We will complement it with curious facts (food, monuments, music, language, and so on).
- 3rd and 4rth ESO: Fill in the map of your passports with the right countries and match the flags accordingly.